ChatGPT API: The Great Age of AIGC for All is Coming!
Open AI, the leading artificial intelligence research laboratory, has made a big announcement: they are opening up the ChatGPT Model API to the public. This marks a major turning point in the world of artificial intelligence and natural language processing, making the power of AI accessible to everyone.
This Open AI amplification is a great benefit for enterprises, AIGC (Artificial Intelligence Generated Content) entrepreneurs and individual developers, further reducing the cost of technology development, which marks a “big era of AIGC for all” is really coming.
What is the ChatGPT API?
The ChatGPT API is an interface that allows developers to access the capabilities of the ChatGPT model, an artificial intelligence language model created by Open AI. The ChatGPT model is a type of transformer model that uses unsupervised learning to understand natural language and generate responses in a conversational context. The model is trained on a massive dataset of text, including books, websites, and other sources of language, allowing it to generate human-like responses to user input.
What is the Whisper API?
Whisper is a speech-to-text model that Open AI will open source in September 2022. And the Whisper API is available through Open AI’s transcriptions or translations endpoints, and supports multiple formats and 98 languages.
Does ChatGPT Have an API?
On March 1, Open AI announced in its official blog that it has opened up the model APIs of ChatGPT and Whisper. note that Open AI is opening up the API of the ChatGPT model and the API of the Whisper model. that is, enterprise and individual developers can use one of the most powerful models currently available, Gpt-3.5-turbo, to develop various applications or integrate them in products, for example, automate email generation, write Python code, develop intelligent customer service, etc. It’s not going to take years and billions of dollars to use the Gpt-3.5-turbo model, it’s too good to be true!
Comparison of ChatGPT API and Whisper API in terms of price ChatGPT API Cost
ChatGPT API and Whisper API Cost
0.002 USD per 1000 Tokens
0.006 USD per minute
Early adopters of the ChatGPT API
- Snap Inc., the creator of Snapchat, introduced My AI for Snapchat+ this week. The experimental feature is running on ChatGPT API. My AI offers Snapchatters a friendly, customizable chat bot at their fingertips that offers recommendations, and can even write a haiku for friends in seconds. Snapchat, where communication and messaging is a daily behavior, has 750 million monthly Snapchatters.
- Quizlet is a global learning platform with more than 60 million students using it to study, practice and master whatever they’re learning. Quizlet has worked with OpenAI for the last three years, leveraging GPT-3 across multiple use cases, including vocabulary learning and practice tests. With the launch of ChatGPT API, Quizlet is introducing Q-Chat, a fully-adaptive AI tutor that engages students with adaptive questions based on relevant study materials delivered through a fun chat experience.
- Shop, Shopify’s consumer app, is used by 100 million shoppers to find and engage with the products and brands they love. ChatGPT API is used to power Shop’s new shopping assistant. When shoppers search for products, the shopping assistant makes personalized recommendations based on their requests. Shop’s new AI-powered shopping assistant will streamline in-app shopping by scanning millions of products to quickly find what buyers are looking for—or help them discover something new.
Why Open AI is opening up ChatGPT's model API?
According to Open AI’s official statement, there are two main reasons for opening up ChatGPT’s model API.
- Continuous optimization and innovation: Open AI hopes to leverage more enterprises and developers to use the Gpt-3.5-turbo model to discover, improve the model together and continuously iterate and innovate the features. We also hope that players from all walks of life will develop more commercially valuable and creative applications based on the Gpt-3.5-turbo model.
- To benefit human beings: Since last December, Open AI has reduced the cost of ChatGPT by 90%. Now, it is hoped that the savings will be given to enterprises, individual developers, etc. by means of APIs. In addition, the Gpt-3.5-turbo model should not only belong to Open AI, it’s the commonwealth of all humanity. It’s time to share it.
What Specific changes has OpenAI made to the API?
Over the past six months, OpenAI has been gathering feedback from API customers and then making specific changes, such as:
- Data submitted through the API is no longer used for service improvements (including model training) unless the organization opts in
- Implementing a default 30-day data retention policy for API users, with options for stricter retention depending on user needs.
- Removing our pre-launch review (unlocked by improving our automated monitoring)
- Improving developer documentation
- Simplifying our Terms of Service and Usage Policies, including terms around data ownership: users own the input and output of the models.
Specific examples of ChatGPT API usage
The ChatGPT API is available on GitHub, making it easy for developers to integrate the tool into their applications. With this API, developers can create chatbots, virtual assistants, and other conversational AI tools that can provide users with personalized and helpful responses in natural language.
In conclusion, the opening up of the ChatGPT Model API marks a major milestone in the world of AI and natural language processing. With this powerful tool now available to developers around the world, we can expect to see a new wave of innovative applications that use AI to provide more personalized and natural interactions with users. The great age of AIGC (Artificial Intelligence and General Computing) for all is truly coming, and the future is looking brighter than ever before.